Welcome, Guest Sign InSign Up

singer.ltd

Company Introduction
The Singer Company, once the worlds leading producer of sewing machines, was the successor to I. M. Singer Company, established in 1851. Isaac M. Singer had patented improvements resulting in the first commercially viable sewing machine. Edward Clark, who joined the firm in 1854, provided the planning skills and business acumen that ensured the firms success. Clark ended the so-called Sewing Machine War between Singer, Elias Howe, and other patent holders by organizing the first U. S. Patent pool, which remained in effect until 1877. The company introduced its first treadle-operated machine in 1856, and Clark introduced installment selling the same year.

The firm was incorporated in New York as the Singer Manufacturing Company in June 1863, Clark being determined to prevent the partnership from becoming entangled in disputes among Singer and his heirs. Singer took his shares and moved to Europe, where he pursued the good life on a grand scale. The company constructed a factory in Elizabethport, N. J. In 1871-72 that was then the largest in the world devoted to the manufacture of a single product. Singer was reincorporated in New Jersey on February 20,1873.

Singer quickly developed a worldwide sales organization. It built its first foreign factory at Glasgow in 1867. This was replaced by a much larger plant at nearby Clydebank in 1882-84. A second factory at Podolsk, Russia, followed in 1905. In the same year, Singer absorbed its leading American rival, the Wheeler & Wilson Manufacturing Company. The Russian factory was nationalized after the 1917 Revolution. When high tariff barriers were erected during the early years of the Depression, Singer was obliged to create two additional European subsidiaries, La Compagnia Singer per Macchine da Cucire, which built a plant at Monza, Italy, in 1934, and La Company Singer Societe Anonymus, which built another at Bonnieres, France, in 1935.

Singer prospered during its first hundred years, but in the seven years following its 1951 centennial, the U. S. Domestic sewing machine market collapsed. The amount of home sewing dome by American women declined sharply, and increasing Japanese imports caused Singer's market share to drop from 66 to 33. The company made attempts to diversifiy into electronics and aerospace. It was renamed The Singer Company on May 16,1963, and over the next decade became an important defense contractor. The sewing machine business continued to shrink, as more women sought careers outside the home, and in mid-1986 it was spun off to a separate subsidiary, SSMC INC. After the 1987 stock market crash, the company was captured by Paul A. Bilzerian, a corporate raider, who quickly sold off eight of the twelve Singer divisions, including all rights to the Singer name. SSMC INC. Was sold to Semi-Tech Microelectronics (Far East) Limited on April 6,1990. The much-shrunken Singer Company was renamed Bicoastal Corporation on October 16,1989
Contact Information
  • Contact PersonMs. ana maria lazarescu
  • Telephone44-1517-943079
  • Fax Number44-1517-943080
  • Website
  • Post CodeSL9 9TU
  • AddressChalfont St Peter, Bucks, United Kingdom
  • Online Mapsinger.ltd Map & Directions
Company Reviewssinger.ltd
No advertising and no spamming please.
Your Name
Your Rating
Your Review